So...I told myself that I would wait a couple of days to do my next post about my recently completed sewing projects.
I don't think my self-restraint is quite honed enough for that.
I wrote a review of my jacket (which, I'm pleased to say, is no longer a work in-progress) earlier in today at Pattern Review. The actual review can be found here.
I used McCall 5670 for my denim jacket, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. While sewing it together, I was a bit nervous about the ease in the shoulder area. Taking into account that the denim doesn't stretch, I decided to be a bit more skimpy with how much the front closure section overlaps. It seems to have worked well. I found the denim and the buttons at JoAnn's and used one of their coupons...which took off a measly 40 cents or so. :(
Now I just have to wait for the weather to loose its slight chill! It seems that I can only wear medium-weight to thin tops underneath this.
As for my two tops, here are the final products:
This is McCalls 5388, and I plan to use the same pattern to make another top from a yellowish patterned cotton. It's made of cotton gauze and is wonderfully light and floaty—perfect for summer. But...it stretched a little while sewing, so I think I'll have to wear a tank top underneath it to prevent the whole world from seeing my bra. Which would detract from its wonderfully light and floaty feeling against my skin, but oh well...
This one is almost an identical (visually, but maybe not its construction) copy of BWOF 03-2008-110. I saw BWOF 03-2008-109 (the version with sleeves)on several blogs and fell in love with the bias band which cradles the bustline. After searching near and far on eBay for the March 2008 issue of BWOF, I gave up, whipped out the top section from a princess dress pattern, used that for the top, and then draped the rest. It actually wasn't difficult at all, although it took a couple of centimeter-by-centimeter tries to finally get the bias band to fit correctly.
It's made from turquoise silk linen(if I remember correctly, it should be silk linen) from my grandmother. I didn't line it because I didn't want it to be too bulky.
So that's all of my projects from January to now.
Miss Fisher DIY Sewing Guide: Hats and Fur Stoles
11 hours ago